Psychology is an academic and applied discipline which involves the scientific study of human (or animal) mental functions and behaviors. In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist, and is classified as a social scientist. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the underlying physiological and neurological processes.
Psychologists study such topics as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, motivation, personality, behavior and interpersonal relationships. Some, especially depth psychologists, also consider the unconscious mind. In addition or opposition to employing empirical and deductive methods, psychologists sometimes rely upon symbolic interpretation and other inductive techniques.
Psychological knowledge is applied to various spheres of human activity, including the family, education, and employment; and to the treatment of mental health problems. Psychology includes many sub-fields that span areas as diverse as human development, sports, health, industry, media and law. Psychology incorporates research from the social sciences, natural sciences, and humanities.
We envision a scientifically developed and matured practice of the profession wherein respective community is benefitted in terms of holistic well-being.
The Indian Psychological Society is functioning with the following major objectives among others:
- To create awareness about the significance of mental health among people through building professional networks and bringing public accessibility to quality mental health services
- To further the development of psychology as a science and as a profession with particular reference to training, qualification and status.
- To promote continuous learning among Psychology and allied professionals through structured programs of educational and development nature
- The integration of practice with research and the promotion of an integrated discipline of psychology.
- To promote the reputation of psychology and psychologists as well as the protection of their interests.
- To offer psychological services and affiliations to the public, corporates, schools and other similar institutions.
We assume responsibility for the development, promotion and application of pure and applied psychology for the public good.